Friday, April 5, 2013

Time is on my side (sample article sent for 'Femina-made by you' issue)


‘Life doesn’t always give you second chances, so take the first one.’
Whenever I came across this saying, I could never really understand the meaning of it. What was the person who said that could be really referring to? Perhaps, there might be something very deep hidden inside this which an ordinary person like me could not interpret. Well, in that case I consider myself lucky because for me this ‘second chance’ (and third, fourth, fifth in that order) is far from reality.

For me, life is an ocean. It’s full of endless possibilities, precious jewels, small and big joys. Yes, it does take courage to dive deep into the ocean and this also means encountering obvious and unforeseen challenges from time to time. But that’s what life is meant to be. Excitement!

Today in the morning when I handed over a cup of tea to my husband, he pushed the morning newspaper on table towards me. 
“What? A return gift?” I said, perplexed.
 “Only if you could acknowledge. For now, just go through this.” He said pointing his finger towards a colorful ad.

I looked at the ad; read it and re-read it. Femina, the magazine I’d been reading since n number of years and adored every section of it, inviting readers to write for them. ‘Whoa! This is incredible.’ I almost jumped out of my chair.

Life has been a roller coaster ride for me (and I guess everyone feels that way). Like any other young girl I had lots of dreams and one of them I cherished the most is to write – a story, an article, storybook, novel, whatever. A young girl passed out of college, jumped to the overwhelming corporate world. Till she could get over that fast and furious change, marriage came, followed by shifting cities, getting another job and then life suddenly came to a standstill after the baby…
Motherhood brings novelty, a transformation in personality, makes you more patient, understanding and loving (okay, you’re forced to become that) but along with these wonderful changes, it also brings anxiety, apprehension and a subtle fear to lose pace with the self and others.

“You always wanted to do this and complained of lack of time. This is a wonderful time to pursue your dreams”, husband’s voice brought me to the present. The mixed feeling of joy, exhilaration, enthusiasm after reading Femina ad had temporarily taken me to my own sweet dream station.

I looked at him, smiled and slightly nodded. Now this is my chance, once again. Second or hundredth, who cares? J  

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT RECEIVED FROM FEMINA ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=633867133296944&set=a.633864296630561.1073741851.191478637535798&type=3&theater

No comments: